From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:37:21 GMT

I would caution that DataGroups and ItemRenderers eventually grow up into things that require
Focus which is not supported in Stage3D, IIRC.

I would hope that, via composition, a single UI set can transform into various optimized implementations.
 The problem with two sets is that you often end up wanting some of one and some of the other.

Games aside, most of the apps I see are not "real-time" but rather, "user-time".  User-time
is a long time.  Nobody can type or mouse as fast as the CPU can think, and I'm not clear
you want to be doing tons of animation while someone is interacting.

If the need for GPU assistance is during scrolling and transitions, that's a different problem.
 Building a capability into a single framework where you can grab bitmaps from the display
list, hide the display list, use the GPU to render a really slick animation, and bring the
modified display list right back on top of the final results might be a better way to get
the best of both worlds.

Alex Harui
Flex SDK Developer
Adobe Systems Inc.