From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jira task to decide on Apache Flex version number needed
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:10:25 GMT
Alex

I mentioned a version reset... this would be in name only. Read on... ( I know you already
know this - but for anyone that doesn't )

The Flex SDK uses mx.core.FlexVersion.as which is tied to mx.core.Version.as - a part of the
mx_internal package. There are 200+ hits in Flex SDK v4.5.1 where version checks are used.
As you hinted... making a flat-out version change would not be a trivial issue. In fact, it
really isn't even an option.

The important question to ask is, "why are these version checks even there?" Because of framework
caching, Adobe signed RSLs, .swz deployment, etc... which are no longer a concern!

Moving forward - it would be in our best interest to _not_ apply bug fixes, features, or functionality
that is version exclusive. Back to the version reset...

We need to leave FlexVersion.as alone... and all existing version-checks - I agree. However,
this doesn't prevent us from adding an ApacheFlexVersion.as and using that as our forward
facing / release version (e.g. Apache Flex 1.0).

The delivery model for Flex has changed... and so should our mind-set. The code, however,
is still stuck in the past... which means that one of the first orders of business should
be to log a Jira issue for each of these version checks... 'fix' the problem that required
the check... and then remove the check.

Really... with what I've outlined - is there any reason we can't / shouldn't do a reset?

--
Rick Winscot