From "Michael A. Labriola" <labri...@digitalprimates.net>
Subject RE: Flex 5 UIComponent - Behavior Pattern
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:06:53 GMT
That is actually my preference and the reason I was mentioning things like AOP at the summit.
We could keep the classes nicely designed but not pay the priced at runtime.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:32 PM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Flex 5 UIComponent - Behavior Pattern

On 1/24/12 10:20 AM, "Haykel BEN JEMIA" <haykelbj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious to see your work Alex. Were you able to do some
> performance and memory tests with your prototype?
>
> Haykel
Further back in this thread I stated that the prototype was not faster because of 'interstitial'
costs: the cost of adding an additional function call to get to the subobject that actually
does the work.

I think you have to give up on something: backward-compatibility, keeping certain high-bandwidth
'behaviors' baked in', memory footprint, in order to get gains.

Or do something more clever like figuring out how to do post-process optimization of the SWF
that can set up tail-call optimizations and reduce the interstitial cost.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Notice: This transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this transmission by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the original transmission. Thank you.