From "Frank Pepermans" <>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:12:05 GMT
Would be good to know exactly why Flex underperforms in areas such as item
renderers right now,
so much goes on when for example a grid is created and shown, that it is
hard to track down.

i.e. having tandem of the Flex layout framework plus Starling would still be
slow, especially the added code to manage an extra 3D display list.

optimizing the Flex innards, finding a good alternative to the TLF
components (a big hit for Spark based renderers), in future maybe adding the
Worker classes into Flex etc... might be enough to leave the stage3D alone?

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Zwaga
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU

> Thanks Roland, that makes sense.
> If I remember correctly Stage3D content is rendered behind the normal
> DisplayList. This does allow you to mix Stage3D content with standard
> components.
> I guess when taking this into account it seems like item renderers would
> not be the way to go.
> What about narrowing down this use case and introducing a new component,
> maybe something based off of the DataGroup? This may be able to allow us
> get something "out the door" even with issues related to z-sorting and
> accessibility.
> I know currently these components rely heavily on the DisplayList, but
> after looking at the Starling framework I really don't think there is
> anything in place that would prevent this from happening.

It sounds viable perhaps. I suggest you do some little tests do see if it
is a workable
avenue to explore. Using a POC component we could try and determine whether
accessibility limitations are of real issue or not. I'm not sure, but
there's probably some kind
of rules about what accepted accessibility is for a component, so at least
we'll know what
to look out for. Anyone here who can shed a light on this? I must say that
I know next to nothing
about it :) All I know is that its important, haha (sorry, ignorance
shining through there...)
I do believe that the combination of Stage3D and regaulr DisplayList based
UI ought to
be explored, because it seems like it could have great potential. But we
will need to
tread very carefully.

View raw message