From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] PPMC members to decide voting procedure
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:26:16 GMT

On Jan 13, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Rui Silva wrote:

> Alex,
>
>> IMHO, the PPMC is that set of managers and should make the final
> decision.
>> It sounds like we have some folks who understand branding issues
> commenting
>> on the submissions.  I think that's enough information for the PPMC to
> go
>> with.  A popular vote in these circumstances is not controlled enough.
>

> Agree in full. Apart from the comments I have been making to some of the
> logo submission there have been others with a good grasp of some of the
> issues regarding branding doing the same. On the other hand I worry a lot
> that, on an open, uncontrolled poll, popularity issues become prevalent and
> that's definitely not the way I'd like a logo for Flex to be chosen.

This is why the vote needs to be on the list. All of us can see who cast each vote. A lot
of work for the person tallying the results, but it is completely transparent. This is particularly
important for PPMC votes which are the ones that are "binding."

The PPMC ought to consider what the larger community thinks. Remember one of the goals for
graduation from the incubator is proving the capability of growing and adding new committers
to the project based on the merits of their contributions to the community. The community
includes more than coding.

Regards,
Dave