From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Board report due tomorrow
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:17:17 GMT

On 1/31/12 8:47 AM, "David Francis Buhler" <davidbuhler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Below is my proposed board-report-draft for
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/February2012.
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Apache Flex is a community-driven evolution of an Enterprise Actionscript
> Framework.
> (incubating since 12/31/2011)
>
> The Top three items to resolve before graduation:
> 1) To improve the stability of the Apache Flex Framework by closing out
> known issues.
Hi David,

Thanks for writing this up.  I would have put a completely different spin on
it, more like this:

Project Name:  Apache Flex
Date of entry to the Incubator:  December 31, 2011
Top three items to resolve before graduation:
1. Resolve Trademark donation or licensing
2. Complete code donation
3. Make a release

Is there anything that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board specifically needs to
address?
The ASF legal team will have to work with Adobe on the Trademark licensing
issue.  Adobe legal is still drafting the proposal before presenting to
Apache.

Are there any legal, infrastructure, cross-project or personal issues that
need to be addressed? (Are there any stumbling blocks that impede the
podling?)
Besides the trademark issue mentioned previously, the code donation and bug
database donation are being slowed by infrastructure issues at both Adobe
and Apache, mainly the lack of ways to easily transfer multi-GB files.

Check that the project's Incubation Status file up to date. (Also provide
the URL.)
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/flex

What has been done (releases, milestones, etc.) since the last report?
An initial set of Flex source (minus Subversion history) was checked into
the whiteboard area of the podling┬╣s Subversion repository.
A logo contest was held.  Over 50 entries were submitted.
The mailing lists were established.  Over 200 people joined in the first 30
days and the traffic averaged over 100 emails a day.  It has quieted down
now that the logo contest has concluded.

What are the plans and expectations for the next period?
Adobe expects to complete the transfer of the bug database and the initial
set of code with history.  Adobe also hopes to contribute the compiler and
test suite as well.  And there is hope for an initial release.

Are there any recommendations for how incubation could run more smoothly for
you?
Incubation has been working well.  Our mentors are great.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team