From Michael Jordan <mijor...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 22:52:57 GMT

On 1/26/12 1:54 PM, "Alex Harui" <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> [...]

That's correct, Alex.

Screen reader support for the Flash Player is available on Windows in IE
and Firefox for swfs embedded with wmode="window."

JAWS, Window-Eyes, and the open source NVDA screen readers can read Flash
content, but to date JAWS has the most comprehensive support for Flex.
This is because JAWS has scripts that work around limitations with the way
that the Flash Player is able to describe content through its
accessibility API.

The Flash Player's accessibility support was implemented back in 2002,
around the time that the term "rich internet application" was coined. To
limit the performance impact of maintaining, updating, and communicating
role, state, and value information on a deep hierarchy of accessibility
objects, the decision was made to only expose one level of hierarchy and
allow an accessibility object like a list to maintain a single array of
children with no decedents. This is unlike the behavior of desktop
applications which are able to expose the full hierarchy of a tree, panel,
or data grid with nested children. JAWS scripts improve the way the screen
reader user interacts with more complex controls like the TreeView and
ComboBox in IE.

Michael Jordan  |  Accessibility Engineer  |  Adobe