From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 UIComponent - Behavior Pattern
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:19:24 GMT

On 1/23/12 12:05 PM, "Ryan Frishberg" <frishy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that caching every function would be expensive, but I don't
> understand why a reference to a function isn't just 4 bytes.  Why is it a
> closure?  The only thing I can think of that would be in scope would be the
> "this" object for the function owner (but maybe that's what makes it a
> closure)?
Believe me, I was surprised to find this out as well.  Basically, it is
because of an inefficient implementation in the VM.

At minimum, it has to reference two things: the pointer to the 'this' object
and the pointer to the name of the method, so I'm pretty sure it has to be
at least 8 bytes, but when I asked about it a while back, they decided it
couldn't be less than 32 bytes (yes, bytes not bits).  Apparently there is
other stuff that needs to be tracked as well.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team