From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Committer duties and information
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 20:11:15 GMT
I'm not sure this made the video from the summit, but Roy Fielding gave me
the impression that there are no "roadmaps" in Apache.  You work on what you
want to work on and commit it.  If people don't like it, you get voted down
and you have to pull it and adjust it until people like it.  If I were you,
before I embarked on a significant amount of code, I would start a
discussion on the mailing list first to make sure there won't be a major
unexpected issue when you try to check in, and to see if anyone else wants
to join in.

I've been flip-flopping between requesting a "review-then-commit" workflow
vs the default "commit-then-review".  Past experience has shown that there
are lots of things to consider when modifying the Flex framework that many
folks don't consider (Marshall Plan, can't assume stage access, for
example).

Because it looks like we won't get JIRA up any time soon, we might start out
with commit-then-review and I'll just have to try to keep up with reviewing
all of the commits.

And because it looks like it will be a while before we get the test suite
running, I would like to discourage commits of anything significant until we
have a way to verify your changes are safe.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team