From jude <flexcapaci...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Atlassian
Date Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:05:29 GMT
The Flash Player is unique in that it creates markets. When Adobe or
Macromedia added webcam support all of a sudden video chat applications are
possible, QR code readers are made possible, augmented reality is made
possible, face recognition is made possible, motion tracking is made
possible, etc. (add "on a mass scale" to all of these things.)

When they added microphone support speech to text is made possible, podcast
applications are made possible, voip are made possible, live digital audio
software is made possible.

When they added video decoding support movies and television content were
made possible.

At each of these points in time Adobe had a potential opportunity. Think of
all the businesses that exist because of these features. Theoretically
speaking they could have made a Skype (and still can), they could and can
make a Google Voice, they could and can make an iTunes. They could and did
make a GoToMeeting but that's another story. But I *wouldn't* recommend
them doing these things (not if it means laying off other teams). They are
great at tooling and I think they should focus on that but there is a way
for them to benefit from all of these innovations.

If I was trying to make Flash profitable I would have someone on the Flash
Player and Flex SDK feature releases and forums and watch for and promote
new projects using their new features. Then I'd invest in those developers
and companies and do everything I can to make them successful. As the
developers and companies are successful, Adobe would be successful too.
They'd also have a continual insight into the features and needs for their
design and developer tools. Alex, I'll available immediately for this
position ;)