From Nicholas Kwiatkowski <nicho...@spoon.as>
Subject Re: FLEX-1: graduate Flex!
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:13:35 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Rick Winscot <rick.winscot@gmail.com>wrote:

> Flex Release
> # package names... if anyone has worked 'around' the SDK and ended up
> monkey patching components they'll know what I'm talking about; if we
> keep the existing namespaces - the collisions, conflicts, and
> framework caching issues could stall progress (in a bad way). If we
> change the package structure... it will minimize conflicts and give us
> a clear path (identity) forward without having to worry about
> intermingling bytecode ( wink wink ).
>
> Also... this would be a first / relatively easy change that would
> warrant a first release - establishing the Apache Flex Framework.

Lets not bring this up again -- it's already been discussed ad-nausea in
the past.  We don't want to change the package names for 4.6.1.  It would
break ALL the compatibility with previous versions for very little gain.
 Anybody who has written a component that extends ANY component would need
to update it to work with the Apache Flex.   Every example, book, blog post
out there would no longer be valid -- and that would hurt us in the end.

Maybe much further down the road this is something we should consider, but
for right now, lets put out a release with bug fixes and critical updates
to show we know how to push things forward rather than cosmetic changes...

-Nick