From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spoon Community Call Feb 2nd
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:37:57 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Nicholas Kwiatkowski <nicholas@spoon.as> wrote:
> In short, Spoon will be providing all the things the community needs, but
> Apache can't support.  For example, the education piece which Apache
> just doesn't have the resources to do.

With my mentor hat on....

This is not entirely correct. There's nothing that says Apache can't
provide those things and it would not be accurate to say Apache does
not have the resources. Basically, Apache can provide whatever
functions we, as the PPMC of Apache Flex, decide Apache should do.
Apache has a lot of resources to support these things. Like you say
about Spoon, Apache is a 501(c)3 org and can accept donations in the
form of cash, IP, and materials. Please do not pigeon-hole Apache into
only doing code. Apache can do support and community development as
well.

To clarify, I'm not discouraging the Spoon folks from doing this work.
If Spoon provides a lot of community resources and does so in an open
way and does not misuse trademarks that belong to Apache, we'd not
have any problem with them doing what they are proposing to do. But it
must be understood that Spoon, as an organization, does not have any
influence over the direction of the Apache Flex project. That
influence lies solely with the individuals who are members of the
Apache Flex PPMC. Some of those individuals also belong to the Spoon
organization. That's great! That opens up the possibility for better
interaction. But they are only individuals on this PPMC and carry no
more weight than any other individual.

On another note, let's all be very careful to keep discussions on this
list professional. Do not hold back on sharing your opinion, but
please share it in a way that fosters good discussion.

Thanks,
Greg