From David Buhler <davidbuh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] ApacheFlex Versioning (was Re: A newbie's guide to building the SDK (and a question))
Date Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:06:50 GMT
I believe Alex's suggestion for a versioning pattern has the following benefits:

1) The versioning pattern separates Adobe's SDK Versioning from the
Apache SDK Versioning. This provides a simple visual cue about SDKs
the community has developed vs SDKs Adobe has developed.
2) Using a year in a versioning pattern is a way to show the speed of
releases over a one year timeframe.
3) Using a year in a versioning pattern allows for quick numerical
sorting when looking for an SDK.
4) Using a year in a versioning pattern provides a simple frame of
reference to remember what a particular SDK included (or, read another
way, what someone invested into a particular SDK). This make it easier
to remember a timeline of a particular feature's evolution. People
relate to dates they can associate with periods in their life much
better than version numbers, since version numbers have no association
with life-events.