From Bertrand Delacretaz <>
Subject Re: Apache Flex community website
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 05:59:54 GMT
Hi Brent,

I'm trying to find out what your exact needs are...

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Brent Arnold <> wrote:
> I agree that this list *is* the community, but what does the "face" of
> Apache Flex look like when it's out of incubator status? When I go to a
> website like, and then go to,
> which one looks more appealing? (no offense to Camel). Sure, both websites
> offer information on a product, but looking at text-based websites is
> just...boring...

So IIUC you think that

a) The layout of should be improved?
b) To be appealing, a website needs to use Flash?

a) is easy, the website is found under and people
are welcome to submit patches.

As for b), the Apache CMS used to build that website can obviously
serve swf files, is there more to it?

> ...Non-Apache committers can still checkout the site in svn and submit patches
> to the list. Otherwise they may access the CMS using username anonymous and
> an empty password and use the Mail Diff feature mentioned above to send
> patches to the list from the CMS.
> I think how unappealing that is for anyone wanting to contribute videos,
> tutorials, documentation, links to examples, etc. There's no sense of when
> content goes live, what the appeal process is if initial committers oppose
> it, etc....

I agree that a faster way for people to contribute to a community
website is good.

As others have said, we can get a wiki by just asking for it, running
on either MoinMoin of Confluence. Something that's worked well in
other projects is to use the wiki as a scratchpad where people can
easily contribute all types of content, and have committers cureate
and move the best of that to the main project's website.

View raw message