From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject First Flex release as soon as possible? (was: So, what should we do first?)
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 10:29:48 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...I recall from the summit that a healthy Apache project releases at least every 4 to
6 months, and one of the things an incubator podling has to do is cut at least one release
so it can show it knows the Apache way of doing so.  So, while we’ve got lots of good ideas
out there around refactoring Flex, lots of those seem like more than a 4 to 6 month project...

There's no Apache rule as to how often a project should release, I've
seen cycles going from once a week to once a year. More than a year
without a release might raise some eyebrows but it there's a good
reason it's possible as well.

I would suggest making a first Flex release much earlier than that, as
soon as possible, to get familiar with the Apache release process.

The result might not be better than the current Flex release (in which
case we'd mark it as such), but that would help make sure the release
process is in place and committers understand it.

I imagine there will be lots of small issues along the way of creating
a valid Apache release, and it's better IMO to tackle this early, even
if the result is a release that's not very interesting to Flex users.

-Bertrand