From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jira task to decide on Apache Flex version number needed
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 20:33:20 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Rick Winscot <rick.winscot@gmail.com>wrote:

> Is anyone under the impression that they are going to be able to swap out
> the Adobe Flex 4.6 SDK for Apache Flex 4.7 without issues??? I think we are
> loosing track of the fact that what we are doing here in all likelihood is
> _not_ going to be a drop-in replacement for Flex 4.6.

Well, my idea is that 4.6.x numbers would be reserved for Adobe to make any
updates it has to, like if they find security holes that need patching.

The 4.7.x numbers would be for Flex SDK updates we do immediately, that are
hopefully mostly bug fixes to the 4.6 code that got donated and is now
Apache Flex.

Any updates, changes, additions that we do to Flex that are more than just
bug fixes and that introduce API breaks would then have to get pushed to
the next major version, which would be Flex 5.x.x.

That was my proposal. I'm not much in favor of years, but I can't really
come up with a good reason other than having Apache Flex 4.7, and Apache
Flex 5 implies a sort of stability that an enterprise framework needs.

-omar