From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branch Strategy (was: So, what should we do first?)
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:33:37 GMT
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Rui Silva <flex@rduartes.net> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> I think BRANCHES would do just fine for all branching needs (not TRUNK and
> TAGS).

Right, so for example to be more clear in how I was envisioning what we're
discussing:

Here are some tags:
-tags
  -releases
    -v.1.0
    -v.1.1

I notice there's a bug reported for v.1.0, and it still exists in 1.1. So I
branch from 1.1 to fix it, it is JIRA2819. So I make a branch:
-branches
  -sandboxes
    -s9tpepper
      -v.1.1.fixForJIRA2819

I start the name with v.1.1 so I can quickly tell which tag this branch
came from, and give it a descriptive suffix to know what the purpose of
this branch is. When my work here is done I can submit this as a patch, and
that patch can then be reviewed, and if passes, we can then determine which
release it will fall into which will determine where it gets merged back
into production.

Nothing under the tags folder should ever be changed, there is only 1
commit to these 'branches'.

Is this what you're envisioning too Rui?

-omar