From Omar Gonzalez <omarg.develo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spoon Community Call Feb 2nd
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 14:17:10 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM, David Arno <david@davidarno.org> wrote:

> I'm looking forward to this. To be honest, I don't understand why Spoon
> still exists. Its purpose - to enable community input into Flex - has been
> superseded by Apache Flex. Further, Apache appears to actively discourage
> the idea that Apache project committers belong to a group: they are
> individual committers that are asked to follow the "if it doesn't happen
> here, it doesn't happen" rule. Hopefully we can get a clear idea from this
> as to why Spoon is still active and what its plans are with regard to
> Apache
> Flex.
>
> David.

I kind of second this notion. I was all for Spoon and all, but it just
seems like this top secret organization with some very select people that
drive its decisions. I also feel like it will eventually begin to fragment
the community into the "We-are-with-Spoon" committers vs. the
"We-are-lone-rangers" committers.

I know the Spoon guys have stated on several occasions that its all open
etc... but really, its not. The "monthly" newsletter was sent in November,
its been 2, going on 3, months since the "monthly". No one really knows
what the agenda is except for the core officers, and it just feels like
there's a bunch of things going on over there that should be happening on
this list as opposed to some secret hiding place where only but a few can
listen in.

I am probably completely wrong about this, but if we learned anything about
anything during the 11/9 announcements its that perception carries a lot of
weight, and my perception of Spoon right now is not really the best... not
really bad... but not really good either.

-omar