From Randy Troppmann <randy.troppm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advice for Logo Contest Round 2
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:31:48 GMT
As harsh as the initial poster's comments are, I think he is not far
off the mark. A contest is not a very good way to design a logo. Paul
Rand (the famously successful IBM logo) once said that if he followed
focus group advice to design that logo it would have "looked like
this" and showed the letters I B M set in all caps, old english. The
best approach is to find the right person and get them to design a
logo for you. But that approach is not free, or cheap. It is expensive
(you do get what you pay for).

That being said, I appreciate the comment that this is a forum where
there is zero budget and that this is a grass roots movement. I think
that this context is what the initial poster is forgetting to
recognize. This process has been really interesting to watch and a
good first exercise in voting on something the community finds
important. The results are the results, for good or ill.

In my 20+ years as a graphics designer, my advice with the logo is
that it is more about visual impact and uniqueness that communicates a
couple things visually. Branding and visual identity will flow from
that. Don't get too hung up on symbology. (But don't ignore it or you
will end up like Amazon who have a penis in their logo.)

My dad once said "Design opinions are like assholes, everyone has
one". It is infinitely easier to criticize a design than it is to
create one.

- Randy