From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 18:25:16 GMT
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM, David Francis Buhler <davidbuhler@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Almost all accessibility implementations are failures. If a blind
> person cannot understand a single word pronounced, this can be a
> show-stopper.
>
> However, most US companies need to support users with disabilities. A
> disability can be cognitive, visual, a hearing problem, etc. The lack
> of an accessible framework makes most software a no-go for companies
> who must support http://www.ada.gov/ .
>
> Software needs to support accessibility.
>
> For example, I believe you'll find a receptionist needs reasonable
> accommodation by 'software' in the workplace. Employers accordingly,
> need to provide software that provides accommodation:
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_with_Disabilities_Act_of_1990#Employment
> http://www.compuaccess.com/ada_guide.htm

+1.  We should not drop accessibility.  It is not the way to move the Flex
framework forward.  We should at least attempt to maintain it.

That said, I am for creating a performance optimized, non-accessible
version of components while still maintaining a non-optimized, accessible
set of components.  All other functionalities would remain the same and it
is upto the users to chose which mode to use.

With some clean architecture, I believe we can make the view portions of
the components switch between GPU mode and non GPU mode without a lot of
effort.  If we do it right, this can be a switch that we can add to a
component.

Om