From Roland Zwaga <rol...@stackandheap.com>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 15:23:01 GMT

> Another performance optimization tip would be Alchemy integration (Memory
> operations).
> But i'm not sure the status of the product..
> http://ncannasse.fr/blog/**adobe_make_some_alchemy<http://ncannasse.fr/blog/adobe_make_some_alchemy>
> "Starting with Flash Player 11.2 and AIR 3.2, content targeting Flash
> Player 11 and AIR 3
> (i.e., content using SWF version 13 and above) will not support the
> experimental Alchemy prototype."

With the plans that Adobe has with the 'new' Alchemy opcodes I don't think
Alchemy is much of an option.
The new Alchemy will have to be paid for if used in a commercial
application, so using it in Apache Flex
might become iffy real quick.
Plus, there's quite limited use-cases for Alchemy, not many components are
computationally heavy, Alchemy
isn't just some silver bullet that you just add to the mix and makes
everything super-fast all of a sudden.
Anyways, just my two cents...