From Roland Zwaga <rol...@stackandheap.com>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:07:45 GMT

> Thanks Roland, that makes sense.
> If I remember correctly Stage3D content is rendered behind the normal
> DisplayList. This does allow you to mix Stage3D content with standard
> components.
> I guess when taking this into account it seems like item renderers would
> not be the way to go.
>
> What about narrowing down this use case and introducing a new component,
> maybe something based off of the DataGroup? This may be able to allow us to
> get something "out the door" even with issues related to z-sorting and
> accessibility.
>
> I know currently these components rely heavily on the DisplayList, but
> after looking at the Starling framework I really don't think there is
> anything in place that would prevent this from happening.

It sounds viable perhaps. I suggest you do some little tests do see if it
is a workable
avenue to explore. Using a POC component we could try and determine whether
the
accessibility limitations are of real issue or not. I'm not sure, but
there's probably some kind
of rules about what accepted accessibility is for a component, so at least
we'll know what
to look out for. Anyone here who can shed a light on this? I must say that
I know next to nothing
about it :) All I know is that its important, haha (sorry, ignorance
shining through there...)
I do believe that the combination of Stage3D and regaulr DisplayList based
UI ought to
be explored, because it seems like it could have great potential. But we
will need to
tread very carefully.

cheers,

Roland