From Jonathan Campos <>
Subject Re: General interest in an AS3 -> JavaScript cross-compilation feature for Flex?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:04:49 GMT
On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Raju Bitter <>wrote:

> Does anyone know more about the status of Falcon JS, and how far Adobe
> is planning to implement the cross-compilation feature? Based on the
> videos from Flex Summit it's just an experimental feature, and there
> are no plans to release Falcon JS as a finished product. So maybe
> that's a good opportunity for the community to help Adobe improve the
> product.

Long story short. I wouldn't hold my breath for what Adobe releases as
Falcon JS. Not to say that the devs that have worked on it are doing a bad
job, but it is incomplete and won't be intended as a final product.

Based on discussions with many parties there is some real work needed to be
done on this to make it work. 1st, some pretty significant updates to Flex
to support the JS cross-compile. 2nd, the cross-compiler itself.

This is 100% my guess, but I would suspect that a rouge group would need to
work on a new Flex standard... let's call it Flex 5... that is remade with
this plan in mind. Then as the cross-compiler comes the Flex code will be
created in a way that it will be friendlier to cross-compiling with JS (and
possibly other end-points).

Jonathan Campos