From Doug McCune <d...@dougmccune.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [Binding] Logo - final tweaks
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:47:36 GMT

> C.7 I'd add some stationary elements that we could use in printable
> documents used with more traditional communication channels.

 C.8 I'd also like to see some studies around printed presentation and
> promotion materials (brochures, pens, notebook, etc.)

While I think it's a nice to have just to see how the logo works in that
context, I don't think we should require the logo designer to create tons
of material just to finish the contest. Let's just get a final logo done
that we can use on the web. Creating assets for use on everything frpm pens
to notebooks to brochures to printed whitepapers (all of which you asked
for) is a LOT of work, and is work that can be done when those items are
actually needed (if they ever are).

> C.9 Finally, and that is somehow included in the stationary items I
> referenced above, there should be a base slide show theme that we could use
> with Powerpoint or other presentation software. This theme would not only
> include a background (easily constructed from C.4), but also common slide
> layouts and elements.

Designing a nice clean slide deck (which would need to be done in
Powerpoint and Keynote to satisfy everyone) is a lot of work. Again, let's
focus on getting a final logo and not bogging down the poor guy with all
these other tasks just to complete the contest. Just because he's a
designer doesn't mean he has to give away hours and hours of his time to
create slide decks for the projects (if he wants to, great, but it's not
expected). Someone else can take on the slide deck creation if they want to.

C.10 Font Face. We could select our brand font that we would use for all
> designs and documents. It would have to be an open-source font that would
> be given under ICLA or CCLA to Apache. Just an idea anyhow.

I'm not sure what the rules are about the fonts that are actually used IN
the logo, so we should make sure we clarify that and that all is kosher
with Apache rules. But beyond that, again, I don't think it's the logo
winner's job to create a full branding identity document that explains
exactly which fonts you should use in which contexts when talking about
Apache Flex.

> E. What I'm about to suggest is a bit of a stretch, so take it with a
> grain of salt. As I said I also liked your other logo very much. The colors
> were a definite attraction point, but the thing that attracted me the most
> was its irregular nature. The way it was "stretched" into its final shape
> and then "stayed" in that shape spoke volumes to me about flexibility and
> stability. I wonder if some of that irregular balance can be ported to this
> logo? I realize that this was the logo that was selected and that possibly
> the fact that it has a stable and regular shape played a big role people's
> decision to choose it, but I had to say something. Sorry if I'm disturbing
> too much.

I think this is asking too much. You're asking to change the fundamental
shape of the logo, which is what people voted on. It shouldn't be expected
that to finish the logo contest we have the designer come up with a new
logo.