From Raju Bitter <rajubit...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: General interest in an AS3 -> JavaScript cross-compilation feature for Flex?
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:29:08 GMT
Thanks for your response, Jonathan!

2012/1/10 Jonathan Campos <jonbcampos@gmail.com>:
> Long story short. I wouldn't hold my breath for what Adobe releases as
> Falcon JS. Not to say that the devs that have worked on it are doing a bad
> job, but it is incomplete and won't be intended as a final product.
That's what I thought, it's going to be a lot of work to do full
cross-compilation for the Flex components with CSS support.

> Based on discussions with many parties there is some real work needed to be
> done on this to make it work. 1st, some pretty significant updates to Flex
> to support the JS cross-compile. 2nd, the cross-compiler itself.
Agreed.

> This is 100% my guess, but I would suspect that a rouge group would need to
> work on a new Flex standard... let's call it Flex 5... that is remade with
> this plan in mind. Then as the cross-compiler comes the Flex code will be
> created in a way that it will be friendlier to cross-compiling with JS (and
> possibly other end-points).
Sounds realistic. I've been a contributor to OpenLaszlo, and have a
good understanding of how the cross-compilation works. I believe pure
ActionScript 3 to JavaScript compilation is not the problem. The
current Flex components are much more heavy-weight (and powerful) than
what OpenLaszlo has. If cross-compilation of Flex apps is the goal,
the components would have to be modified, which is a larger effort -
which would result in a new Flex standard. If you have a large 3.x or
4.x Flex app, I don't think it's realistic to have cross-compilation
working for the existing apps. But for future apps based on a "Flex
5", it's a different story.

Projects like Jangaroo already have ActionScript 3 to JavaScript
compilation working (http://www.jangaroo.net/home/), but they use
ActionScript as the better JavaScript to create JavaScript apps
(please correct me if I'm wrong, I've never used Jangaroo).

- Raju

- Raju