From Raju Bitter <>
Subject Re: Flex performance
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 22:10:38 GMT
It would make sense to build a light-weight component set for Flex,
which could be used for rendering Flex apps in HTML5 later on. The
approach could be based on the UI/component implementation OpenLaszlo
has (which provides cross-compilation features for ActionScript and
JavaScript, check this demo):
HTML5 version
SWF version

2012/1/4 Fr├ęderic Cox <>:
> And it's not only on mobile, on desktop (mostly Mac's) this is a problem
> also. I'm talking about big enterprise applications and websites here
> (like a CMS with graphical skin applied, nothing really in standard Flex
> skin)
> On 04/01/12 22:49, "Arthur Lockman" <> wrote:
>>+1 on this. Performance definitely needs to be addressed on Flex. I've
>>noticed that on newer devices, it works fine. But on the slightly older
>>ones, performance is a huge issue. Hopefully we can get in there and
>>clean it up so it performs better.
>>Arthur Lockman | Senior Developer @ Vivace
>>Twitter: @arthurlockman
>>On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Fr├ęderic Cox wrote:
>>> I've worked on Flex applications for the past 4-5 years and see a lot
>>>of developers picking it up since it is easy to create rich
>>>applications. However performance is often an issue.
>>> I mostly see it when using a lot of styles (or one large CSS file) and
>>>skinned components (It is even worse with Flex 4 then it was with Flex
>>>3). When a Flex application gets really large the UI is blocked because
>>>there is too much actionscript code needed to get things running. (with
>>>this I mean the processing time is acceptable but UI is blocked so the
>>>perception is that things are slow)
>>> Therefore I'd like to vote on improving the performance of the Flex
>>>framework where possible so new and existing applications can benefit.
>>>Flex 4 with spark is great but comes with some performance drawbacks, I
>>>hope we can improve on this significantly.
>>> I'm speaking on behalf of the experience and perception in the company
>>>I work for, I'm curious to see if this is also a problem for the rest of
>>> I'm not the expert here but I'd like to get involved and learn so I can
>>>eventually help to fix issues but I believe UIComponent had some
>>>overhead and this together with the StyleManager can cause performance
>>>drawbacks in large applications

Raju Bitter | Software Architect
cell: +49 (0) 176 322 011 96
fax: +49 (0) 8821 68 69 08 29