From Tink <f...@tink.ws >
Subject Re: Flex 5 UIComponent - Behavior Pattern
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:32:08 GMT
On 23 Jan 2012, at 17:08, Bogdan DINU wrote:

> Hey Jonathan,
>
> I'm convinced about my idea. However, I cannot start developing
> while I
> don't have the whole picture, a plan and a road map. And having a
> whole
> picture is everything. Look at how Doug challenged me as Devil's
> advocate :)

A bit of planning before developing wouldn';t go a miss, so maybe we
could start with what you would remove from UIComponent and replace
with a behavior and why (i.e. what components don't require the
behavior), as Doug said it would be pointless doing all the work to
always implement the behaviours. I can think of a few

1. Styling - The core containers really need any styling. Styling is
very rarely used in the case of Groups.
2. Focus - Only low level components require focus. Containers,
application views, and complex composite components generally don't
need to handle focus, just lets their children handle it.
3. Validation - Only input controls generally require validation.
4. States - I generally only try and use states in skins, although I
do use them elsewhere, if there is a significant amount of overhead
added to Groups etc when I'm not using them I'd rather them be removed
by default, with the ability to add the behavior. Not sure how this
would be handled in MXML.

Anything else you'd add to the list?

I know I have mentioned this before, but removing the need for
Skinnable components to be DisplayObjects surely would reduce overhead
significantly, although agreed would reduce the large amount of code
in UIComponent.

Tink