From Web DoubleFx <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: So, what should we do first?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 03:30:39 GMT

An other way, maybe clearer in term of dev and branching would maybe the use of svn as master
and git for branching, you can read more in the links bellow :

http://blogpro.toutantic.net/2012/01/02/another-git-branching-model/ http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache

Frédéric Thomas

> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:56:47 -0500
> From: jeffry@dot-com-it.com
> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: So, what should we do first?
>

>   I can honestly say it's been a long time since I looked at the public
> Flex SVN repo; so I'm not sure the extent of what is in there or how it
> is organized.
>
>   Most projects I've worked on have used a "Trunk/Branch/Tag" approach.
> To map:
>
> * Released sounds kind of like tags; which is a full snapshot in time
> that--presumably--doesn't change.
> * Stable sounds kind of like Trunk, which is the primary working branch
> for the next version.
> * Sandbox/Unstable sound like branch; which are different working
> copies.  They often start as an off-shoot of the trunk; presumably to be
> combined back in at some future point.
>
>   Is it worthwhile to separate "long term development" (Sandbox) ) vs
> "Short term stuff development" (UnStable)?  I assume we wouldn't want to
> do that development in the same sub-branch; but is there a reason to
> make the distinction between short term and long term development?
>
>   Beyond that, I don't have a strong opinion either way.
>
> On 1/4/2012 7:42 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> > I’m loving the ideas and energy on this list so far.  And so, the subject question
needs to be answered:  What should we (the committers in this project) do first?

> > To do so without getting de-stabilized by the longer term projects, we should agree
on a branch strategy.  It sounds like many Apache projects have multiple branches like:
> >      -Sandbox:  Anything that doesn’t fall over immediately can go here
> >      -Unstable: Things that are being polished for release can go here
> >      -Stable:  The release candidate goes here.
> >      -Released:  The latest release.
> >
> > Long term projects would go in Sandbox and shorter term stuff would go in Unstable
and get synched to Sandbox if required.

> > Most of you are volunteers trying to scratch out spare time to make contributions,
but some of us have all day to work on this stuff.  I am thinking of splitting time between
long-term work and short term work and use JIRA to guide what short-term work I do.