From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: BlazeDS
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 03:50:33 GMT

On Jan 7, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 1/7/12 2:02 AM, "Anne Kathrine Petter√łe" <yojibee@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> From the top of my head:
>> Would you be able to get enough initial committers for a proposal?
> That's one thing I'm worried about.
>
>> there someone championing the project at ASF?
> Are you volunteering to be champion?
>
>> I don't know how many external contributors you have today?
> Probably zero today.
>
> I guess some folks are willing to work on it, but what needs to be done to
> it?  And does it matter to Apache if it only needs a few minor tweaks and
> isn't very active?

Speaking with a developer hat (not a mentor hat):

My day$ work has been document creation and project management, for decades. Our work stack
produces highly annotated Postscript, PDF, PPT, PPTX, XLSX, SWF, and PNG output. These are
served with JSP, HTML and Java servlets on Apache Tomcat. The SWF creation is via Transform
SWF from PS pages. We've contributed to Apache POI including some graphic support in PPT,
PPTX, and XLSX generation in Java.

Having an available BlazeDS server library to adapt to our platform would make Apache Flex
a more attractive application delivery platform. It would make it a feasible choice that I
could probably sell, mobile is important!

On another note adding a blaze namespace to MXML on a par with spark while simplifying the
specification of web services from the client application end would be great. I think this
would be in good alignment with Apache Flex as an SDK.

Just some thoughts... IMO to me a Blaze is what you get from a Spark :-)

Regards,
Dave