From FRANKLIN GARZON <fgarzo...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:30:40 GMT

We will review the possibility to join maybe 1 developer full time into Apache Flex contributor
from us, I will propose to our CEO. I will know some weeks later if this is possbile.

Franklin Garzón

Regional Development Manager

MCTS - MCITP  Microsoft SQLServer 2005

*Si el hombre dejara de aprender entonces dejaría de existir*

094496862 / 593-022234585

 > From: david@davidarno.org
> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org

requirement for Apache Flex to target the AVM in the long run though if we choose to put the
effort into compiling to other targets.

> Whilst Adobe will own the specification of ActionScript 3, we will own the mxmlc and
falcon compilers. We therefore get to choose what changes we make to the language that Flex
is written in. If our changes require us to rename the language to ApacheScript or some such,
then so be it.

> > I am just thinking past sometime around the period of Flex3,
> > if this same incubation could have done that time, is there a single
> > member in the community could even think of developing Flex4 SDK
> > with spark containers?
> This makes no sense to me. Are you suggesting open source communities couldn't have created
spark? I suggest you take a look at the size of some of the other Apache projects, and projects
like Linux to get an idea of what the open source community can achieve. Flex 3 to Flex 4
was a small change compared with what many of us are planning for Apache Flex: an interface,
composition & DI-based framework written in AS3++ targeting JavaScript and HTML5 no less.

> > ... we are restricted to the SDK alone, and has to wait and see Adobe
> > releases for AVM/Flash Player etc.
> Utter nonsense. If Adobe release new versions of the Flash Player that are of benefit
to us (multi-threading maybe?), then great, we'll use those new features. If Adobe stopped
development of the Flash Player today though, it would make little difference to the amount
of development we can do with Flex.

> > You see Alex telling ...  that a blank interface in AVM consumes around 1K and loads
extra 250 bytes to an SWF!
> I laughed when I saw that. Seriously, what is Alex so worried about? With Flex SWFs often
weighing in in the megabytes size-frame and the runtime using 100s megabytes, if not gigabytes
of RAM, who gives a shit about 250 extra bytes in a SWF!? And again, even if hundreds of extra
interfaces causes a problematic size increase for some projects, we will be in control of
the compiler. Therefore we could easily develop a tool that, for example, strips many of the
interfaces out of Flex in order to create a FlexLite version, with much smaller SWF and runtime
memory usage.

> > I am a great supporter of Flex, and want Apache Flex to live long!
> Then stop your negative whinging and get working on Apache Flex. Pick something you'd
like to do with it, tell us here to see if anyone wants to help you and get coding...