From Tink <f...@tink.ws >
Subject Re: Petition: Flash Catalyst must survive
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:09:14 GMT
On 10 Jan 2012, at 18:28, Stephane Beladaci wrote:

> What about Spark skinning and performance? Does Spark skinning affects
> or not the performance of an application? I personally really like
> Spark and tend to prefer skins over lose CSS styling, however I heard
> from some colleague that Spark skinning had negative effect on
> performance, I was never able to confirm or not.

One of the issues with Spark skinning was that you would end up with 2
DisplayObject's for each SkinnableContainer/Component. For mobile
especially, it is good to keep the number of nested DisplayObject's
down.

I brought up the idea some time ago befoe Spark was released that they
should add a getter for "view" on IVisualElement which was typed to
UIComponent. When a child was added its "view" property could be added
to the display list. This would mean that the Skinnable.... classes
could free themselves for being DisplayObject's and return their skins
in this getter, and standard Groups, mx comps etc could return
themselves.

Skinnable.... classes would lose invalidation and it gets somewhat
more complicated if skins are being switch at runtime, but it sounds
like this could be an approach we could investigate here? Maybe I
should create a post with its own topic?

Tink