From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flex 5 UIComponent - Behavior Pattern
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 20:40:50 GMT
If anyone is interested in squeezing out n-th degree performance out of Flash... they've probably
bumped into apparat.

https://github.com/joa/apparat

Adding constructs upon constructs in code amounts to entropy in ABC. De-composition, composition,
inheritance, etc... all have costs and benefits which shift dramatically depending upon the
application. IMO, the best way to settle the discussion is to take a given test to measure
performance and start creating samples for evaluation ( e.g. whiteboards ).

--
Rick Winscot

On Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Michael A. Labriola wrote:

> That is actually my preference and the reason I was mentioning things like AOP at the
summit. We could keep the classes nicely designed but not pay the priced at runtime.

costs: the cost of adding an additional function call to get to the subobject that actually
does the work.

> I think you have to give up on something: backward-compatibility, keeping certain high-bandwidth
'behaviors' baked in', memory footprint, in order to get gains.

> Or do something more clever like figuring out how to do post-process optimization of
the SWF that can set up tail-call optimizations and reduce the interstitial cost.

> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui
>
> Notice: This transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged or confidential. Any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this transmission by anyone other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone and delete the original transmission.
Thank you.