From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: the Flex website
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 17:35:15 GMT

On Jan 4, 2012, at 9:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Carol,
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Carol Frampton <cframpto@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...Our website
>>        http://incubator.apache.org/flex/
>>
>> is 'an ugly temporary website'....
>
> It's all my fault ;-)
>
> I'm happy to explain how to modify it if people want to add things
> there now, but as you say:
>

>> I think we need a logo and some basic structure put in place....
>
> The standard option here would be to use the Apache CMS, it's a fairly
> basic tool but very convenient for our types of projects as it's based
> on content in subversion - which also means it's easy to include
> generated content.
>
> There's some information here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/ApacheCms2010
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
> http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html
>
> and the Stanbol site is an example of a simple website managed by that CMS:
> site at http://incubator.apache.org/stanbol/
> content at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/site/trunk
>
> If people agree with that solution, I can request ASF infrastructure
> to set it up for us.
>
> Someone will need to create a design anyway (CSS, logos etc), the CMS
> only provides the editing/staging/publishing infrastructure.

I have significant experience using the Apache CMS with the Apache OpenOffice podling.

See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/site/trunk and https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/ooo-site/trunk

The second is the live www.openoffice.org a huge site of rewrapped html.

As a Flex Mentor I will certainly help the project get up to speed with the CMS.

HTH,
Dave