From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [Binding] Logo - final tweaks
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:37:19 GMT
B. Color
To cover your bases with print media... you'll need to have: mono-tone, halt-tone, duo-tone,
and full-color.

--
Rick Winscot

On Friday, January 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Rui Silva wrote:

> Tomasz,
>
> First let me congratulate you and your team (especially Adrian) for the very excellent
and professional work you have been doing with (both) your logo submissions.

> Now, for the tweaking:
>
> A. I agree that Flex should be more important than Apache. It is the name of the project
and carries with it a lot of familiarity and stories that we want to preserve (most of it
anyhow :) ). There is the matter of the name possibly not being donated to Apache, but my
opinion is that regardless of the project's name we'll want to maintain it's basic philosophy
which is strongly coupled with the idea of the flexibility and fluidity that the framework
gives us, while at the same time providing the building blocks to crystallize that flexibility
into enterprise level applications. Your logo (both of them, actually) ties very well into
that philosophy or at least that's what I read from them.

> B. Definitely yes. Not that I dislike blue, but I'd like to see how it behaves with warmer
colors (maybe a variation of the orange used in the other logo) and also with more dynamic
and modern (post-modern?) color palettes.

> C.1 Yes, please..
> C.2 Yes, please.
> C.3 Absolutely yes, please.
> C.4 Yes.
> C.5 Yes.
> C.7 I'd add some stationary elements that we could use in printable documents used with
more traditional communication channels.
> C.8 I'd also like to see some studies around printed presentation and promotion materials
(brochures, pens, notebook, etc.)
> C.9 Finally, and that is somehow included in the stationary items I referenced above,
there should be a base slide show theme that we could use with Powerpoint or other presentation
software. This theme would not only include a background (easily constructed from C.4), but
also common slide layouts and elements.
> C.10 Font Face. We could select our brand font that we would use for all designs and
documents. It would have to be an open-source font that would be given under ICLA or CCLA
to Apache. Just an idea anyhow.

> D. Yes, please.
>
> E. What I'm about to suggest is a bit of a stretch, so take it with a grain of salt.
As I said I also liked your other logo very much. The colors were a definite attraction point,
but the thing that attracted me the most was its irregular nature. The way it was "stretched"
into its final shape and then "stayed" in that shape spoke volumes to me about flexibility
and stability. I wonder if some of that irregular balance can be ported to this logo? I realize
that this was the logo that was selected and that possibly the fact that it has a stable and
regular shape played a big role people's decision to choose it, but I had to say something.
Sorry if I'm disturbing too much.

> Again, thanks for a very professional job. If I find myself ever in the need to create
a corporate brand I'll be sure to ring you guys for a proposal.