From Rick Winscot <rick.wins...@gmail.com>
Subject Resource Allocation ( was: Flex logo contest )
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:58:15 GMT
At some point... sooner or later - we'll have to embrace the notion that resources cost money
and that the success of a project may be dependent upon resources other than coding.

As an example, what will happen if Adobe keeps cranking out Flash Builder versions? Do committers
get a free copy - or will they be expected to pay for it themselves? At the summit, there
was no question that Adobe was going to keep releasing the IDE (at least that's what they
said). If the expectation is that we keep step with advancements / fixes... who _should_ pay
for that connective tissue?

If Adobe isn't going to help out with licenses... and committers can't keep up-to-date - what
of their status? Will they be dropped from the list?

Adobe has said that they will donate people resources - what other resources are they offering?
If an email over a t-shirt as an award has everyone pissing and moaning... I'm a little concerned
if we hit a bigger bump in the road.

I get the feeling that people hear 'non-profit' and immediately think that _everything_ is
free / donated... perhaps in some cases it can be - but even Apache has a 'sponsorship' page
that details where 'monetary contributions' are spent. I'm sure that they have rules for money
handling - what 503(c) organization doesn't? ...but non-profit doesn't mean you don't make
money. It just means that at the end of the year you're expected to show a zero-balance in
your bank account.

I get really frustrated when people feel some sort of entitlement because they work on project
X or because your name is Y or you know person Z. I've been told more than once that a developer
is only as good as their last release... at this point we should be thinking objectively and
strategically for the long term.

Consider this...

Johnathan Campos - Apache Flex wants to have a conference in San Francisco on the first anniversary
of the project. Since you're on the commiters list... you'll be donating your time - pro-bono.
Oh... and btw - the conference can't make a dollar because it's non-profit. Oh... and btw
- Adobe didn't agree to supporting anything like that so... you'll have to come up with sponsorship
yourself or pay for it out of your own pocket. Oh... and it's possible that Apache Flex may
not even have anything to release by the conference. Oh... and...

--
Rick Winscot