From Arnoud Bos <arn...@artim-interactive.nl>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:48:06 GMT

On 24-01-2012, at 09:48, Alex Harui wrote:

> On 1/23/12 7:36 PM, "Frank Altomare" <lostirc@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Has anyone looked into the feasibility of pushing some of the Flex
>> components through a GPU framework such as Starling? Once Stage3D comes out
>> for mobile this would bring some huge improvements to controls like Lists.
>> Imagine all the fun we could have with GPU powred list item renderers :)
> It was discussed already.  Worth investigating, the biggest problem is that
> I do not think there is a good accessibility story.

Hi All,

Alex is right.

i thought the next info might be valuable info in this regard. Its a reply on a question i
asked on the blog of Thibault Imbert (bytearray.org). He's a product manager for the flash
runtime.

Hi Arnoud,
We will not add accessibility support to Stage3D, cause it is literally a flat surface (bitmap),
and you create the DOM in AS3, so it would be up to the developer to implement the accessibility.
To do that, you would need to have access to low-level APIs allowing to talk to the underlying
OS APIs for accessibility and we are not planning exposing those APIs for now.
Thibault

So for now using Stage3D is not viable option IMHO as an enterprise application framework
like flex cannot do without an accessibility implementation.
So it's probably better to seek optimizations for flex using the displaylist api.

> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.