From Arnoud Bos <arn...@artim-interactive.nl>
Subject Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:02:09 GMT
yup that would be awesome!  Especially because
Stage3D will be supported on mobile in the near future.
I've seen demo's on tablets of that.

So it might solve performance problems that we experience in flex
for mobile now.

So if Alex could ask Thibault if he can fix accessibility stuff for
Stage3D (and then Starling) we're all set!  ;-)

On Jan 24, 2012, at 4:45 PM, Frank Altomare wrote:

> Alchemy seems so much in flux right now IMO it seems like we should wait on
> that. I do really like the idea of a Starling for UI, that could be pretty
> huge.
>
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Andras Csizmadia <andras@vpmedia.eu>wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your answer. Yes, i'd the same feeling. Mostly physics and
>> image processing libs are benefitting from alchemy.
>> Anyway my hope is that it will be also open-sourced one time.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Roland Zwaga
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:23 PM
>> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org ; Andras Csizmadia
>> Subject: Re: Pushing Flex components thorough the GPU
>>

>>> Another performance optimization tip would be Alchemy integration (Memory
>>> operations).
>>> But i'm not sure the status of the product..
>>> http://ncannasse.fr/blog/****adobe_make_some_alchemy<http://ncannasse.fr/blog/**adobe_make_some_alchemy>
>>> <http:/**/ncannasse.fr/blog/adobe_make_**some_alchemy<http://ncannasse.fr/blog/adobe_make_some_alchemy>
>>>>
>>> "Starting with Flash Player 11.2 and AIR 3.2, content targeting Flash
>>> Player 11 and AIR 3
>>> (i.e., content using SWF version 13 and above) will not support the
>>> experimental Alchemy prototype."
>>>

>> With the plans that Adobe has with the 'new' Alchemy opcodes I don't think
>> Alchemy is much of an option.
>> The new Alchemy will have to be paid for if used in a commercial
>> application, so using it in Apache Flex
>> might become iffy real quick.
>> Plus, there's quite limited use-cases for Alchemy, not many components are
>> computationally heavy, Alchemy
>> isn't just some silver bullet that you just add to the mix and makes
>> everything super-fast all of a sudden.
>> Anyways, just my two cents...
>>

> --
> Francis Altomare,