From Arthur Lockman <arthurlock...@ajobi.net>
Subject Re: Flex performance
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:49:52 GMT
+1 on this. Performance definitely needs to be addressed on Flex. I've noticed that on newer
devices, it works fine. But on the slightly older ones, performance is a huge issue. Hopefully
we can get in there and clean it up so it performs better.

--
Arthur Lockman | Senior Developer @ Vivace
vi.vace.me

On Wednesday, January 4, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Fr├ęderic Cox wrote:

> I've worked on Flex applications for the past 4-5 years and see a lot of developers picking
it up since it is easy to create rich applications. However performance is often an issue.

> I mostly see it when using a lot of styles (or one large CSS file) and skinned components
(It is even worse with Flex 4 then it was with Flex 3). When a Flex application gets really
large the UI is blocked because there is too much actionscript code needed to get things running.
(with this I mean the processing time is acceptable but UI is blocked so the perception is
that things are slow)

> Therefore I'd like to vote on improving the performance of the Flex framework where possible
so new and existing applications can benefit. Flex 4 with spark is great but comes with some
performance drawbacks, I hope we can improve on this significantly.

> I'm speaking on behalf of the experience and perception in the company I work for, I'm
curious to see if this is also a problem for the rest of you.

> I'm not the expert here but I'd like to get involved and learn so I can eventually help
to fix issues but I believe UIComponent had some overhead and this together with the StyleManager
can cause performance drawbacks in large applications