From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Apache Flex community website
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2012 04:13:40 GMT

On Jan 5, 2012, at 6:28 PM, Brent Arnold wrote:

> I agree that this list *is* the community, but what does the "face" of Apache Flex look
like when it's out of incubator status? When I go to a website like http://camel.apache.org,
and then go to http://www.flex.org, which one looks more appealing? (no offense to Camel).
Sure, both websites offer information on a product, but looking at text-based websites is
just...boring.

> And when I read things like:
>
> Non-Apache committers can still checkout the site in svn and submit patches to the list.
Otherwise they may access the CMS using username anonymous and an empty password and use the
Mail Diff feature mentioned above to send patches to the list from the CMS.

svn. email, and the current markdown emphasis of the Apache CMS is certainly different from
Flex, SWF and Flash.

It would be interesting to see how Apache Flex could offer all Apache projects the ability
to build much more compelling websites.

> I think how unappealing that is for anyone wanting to contribute videos, tutorials, documentation,
links to examples, etc. There's no sense of when content goes live, what the appeal process
is if initial committers oppose it, etc.

> I guess I'm looking for a more "visually engaging" community site. For example, I sure
hope we can embed SWFs in the pages, otherwise it'd be like selling air conditioners in the
desert without a working model. "Trust me, this will keep you cool" ;-)

I also hope that SWFs will be *easily* embedded in the Apache Flex website using the Apache
CMS. I am very keen on working out these details.

Let's take the scenario of a bare swf file in the project site svn. I am pretty sure that
the Apache CMS should be altered to automatically wrap the html around the swf. In other words
putting an SWF within the HTML skeleton should be done programatically.

If this is a scenario that fits the project I will take it to Apache Infra and discuss the
best way to alter the CMS perl / python / markdown code to do the task.

What would help is to know what the experts here feel is the best html wrapping for swf?

I merely presented an initial skeleton for the Apache Flex website. What do you all really
want to do?

> For now I'll just redirect the domain to the incubator page.

OK.

Best Regards,
Dave

> Brent

>>> I might have over stepped my knowledge with saying that can happen, as the actual
site is in svn. So that might not be a possibility but anything else can happen.

>>> I need to check on if there is anything that allows non committer involvement
through sharing.

>>> Anybody know the answer to this?
>> Until recently the answer was no. But now it is "YES". Please see http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#non-committer
>>
>> I am going to give credit for this improvement to Apache Infrastructure and Joe Schaefer
who did a number of improvements in our recent migration of www.openoffice.org to the Apache
CMS.

>> Is Adobe planning to contribute web based documentation?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>>> Mike

you you got idea, share them and we can find a way to put your passion right into our web
site, since it's your website to.