From Jeffry Houser <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Logo - final tweaks
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2012 14:24:10 GMT

  I had posed similar questions on the private list; but it probably
makes more sense to discuss publicly.

  My questions are less about "tweaks" and more of what we do w/ it
moving forward.

  There are a handful of different iterations of the logo in the initial
submission.  I'm not sure exactly what elements make up the logo in this
case; nor how interchangeable they are.

  Are we committed to choosing just one and attempting to make it
consistent everywhere / used by anyone?  ( Including things like colors,
whether it says Flex Apache or Apache Flex, whether the icon appears on
the left or the right etc.... ? )

  Or do we allow flexibility in such things while focusing on making the
icon consistent?

On 1/27/2012 6:43 AM, Tomasz MaciÄ…g | Fuse Collective wrote:
> For PPMC members.
> Since you'll be decision makers please add [Binding] to you message so
> I can easily distinguish you.

> Below are things that we feel are important.
> A. Naming convention/typography.
> What naming convention should we use? (Which name in "Apache Flex" is
> more important or maybe their equal and should be same size?)
> Personally I think "Flex" should be bigger since it is the projects name.
> I think we should try and work on typography to give it more
> corporate/software look & feel.

  I agree that Flex should be the bigger piece.  But, long term.. does
it matter? Or should we offer flexibility to those using it?  I'm
assuming in this case, no, the typography should be consistent.

> B. Color.
> I think we should try and see what this could look like in different
> colors and create up to 3 different color variations.
   I am not opposed to this, but personally like the blue color.

> C. Additional branding elements.
> I want to ask you where and in what way the logo may be used by
> community? (On what kind of materials you want to see or use it?)

  In terms of use "by Apache Flex" I perceive it'll not be used for much
more than the web site.  People can't donate to Apache for our specific
project; so the project won't be doing things like printing T-shirts or
whatnot unless someone really wants to put the money in and do it

  More practically, the logo will be used in co-branding situations with
other companies.  ( As a company I don't think I'd want to print up
T-shirts w/ the Apache Flex logo w/o some form of kickback promo to my
own company ).

  So, I imagine such use cases would be stickers, logos, T-shirts, post
cards / flyers, posters.  Long term, I could envision it being on
signage for conference booths.  In most of those cases I would expect
the Flex logo to be combined with other elements that are at this time
  Of course, it'll be used on web sites.

  I just noticed [now] that this logo submission did not have a link to
a zip w/ the master files.  Is it worth repeating we are expecting the
master files--I assume in illustrator or some other vector format.

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust

View raw message