From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: State of the Project
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:42:31 GMT
On 24/01/2012 05:03, Alex Harui wrote:
> Yes, there can be separate branches and release.

Then that should be mentioned in the "versioning" thread, shouldn't it?

> IMHO, Apache is more about what actually happens, not so much about promises
> and visions and missions.  The missions can get changed, forked, killed,
> whatever.  It all depends on who actually gets something done.
If its like that: Why do we need memberships then? I mean seriously:
Libspark is such a platform.
They allow the project to go into the direction that the various members
choose, basically everyone
can become commiter. Releases are purely interest driven and we do not
need discussions like "do we need that".

As far as I can tell though: that is not what many people see in the
responsibility of Apache Flex. Many companies (i guess including Adobe)
expect Apache Flex to maintain/improve on to the former releases as they
built their businesses on flex as a platform. Also as a person active in
opensource development myself I had really good experiences with setting
goals. They eased the discussion about it and cleared the road to what I
want to achieve.

Okay, all this is basically a suggestion.

On 24/01/2012 05:20, Greg Reddin wrote:
> You nailed it Alex! An Apache project is all about what we make it. It
> is nothing about what we say we might make it someday :-)
Many threads are motivational nature i.e: "Would <x> be interesting?"
"Would <z> make sense?" etc. Those are questions that programmers that
think ahead put in before they write code. Before investing times and heart.

> Let's figure out what a release contains, then we can figure out what
> to call it.
That is what I was talking about. How can you select something for a
release without knowing what kind of thing it is you want to release at
first place?

Also: Apache seems to be rather picky about what things are. There is a
apache project and a apache tomcat project. Both webservers, could be
hosted as the same project, right, but isn't? So, again: what does this
Flex now stand for anyways? Anything people work on? Would Apache be
okay with that?

yours
Martin.