From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject State of the Project
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:00:17 GMT
I think the tension here is justified. Many people waited for a long
time to work on things and the expectations are high.  Right now a lot
of requests and questions that the people have could be avoided if we
had some certainties:

   * What can we work on/discuss about?
      As far as I know Adobe doesn't know the full list of things that
will be donated, but I guess there is a list of things
      about which Adobe officials are already certain about. For
example: Flex Builder will not be donated.
     " The current MXMLC compiler will be donated but we are stuck with
svn technicalities." If there was a list on what
      will definitely be donated together with an anticipated time-frame
and the current status then we had better clarity
      about what can, reasonably, be talked about.

   * What is Apache Flex about?
      To me a clear mission statement that describes what the aim of the
flex project is, is long overdue. Is this a project
      to maintain and improve a currently available API? Or is not API
specific at all and does the Flex Platform want to provide
      a solution for dealing  with problems like "easy to use system for
RIAs", "cross platform deployment", ...

      This could also be a little more detailed by stating things like
"Fixed API per major version", "well documented", etc.
      It would give people a reference in conversations.

      In the example of "well documented": "I want to create a new
documentation logic. Because I think
      the current system does not harmonize with the goal 13). My
problems with the current documentation are A) B) C)".

   * How and when can we "document" feature/bug/fix requests? I have
read mailing-list entries like "Jira is ready" and the
      Jira bug tracker is available for public use. However people
restrain because they want Adobes Jira to be imported before
      that. So: Does that make Jira: "not ready"?

I think this sort of questions are important right now as the lack of
answers seem to agitate the group and throttle the motivation.
I also think that these questions need to be answered by the Project
team and not the community.

yours
Martin.