From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Trace & Log
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 03:09:08 GMT
If I wanted to profile my application I would use a profiler. However,
Logging can be used for profiling but is just one of various use-cases
and its not a important one. If you wish I could list the others, but in
short:

Basically its three things I _want_ to change:
  1) Doing what logging does, just more _granular_. Granulate to methods
or files.
  2) Doing what logging does, just with _less coding_  for the _user_.
Granulate without currently needed boilerplate code.
  3) Doing what logging does, just more _verbose_. Show where the
particular log statements have been originating from.

The granularity is important if someone has long files, I am thinking of
the UIComponent example right now.

The verbosity (line number and location) is very important for bug
tracking or code functionality understanding.

The simplicity is very important for developers who dislike to write a
lot of boilerplate code.

I, as well as others, have tried to implement it with currently
available features but those three problems still exist. A solution to
all this would be the mentioned approach of compile-time-data-injection.

yours
Martin.