From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: Trace & Log
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:10:34 GMT
I am currently okay with using 0.05 nanoseconds (not milli) for a unused
logging call (current state of performance). I am sure that monocle is
fast. But I am not sure if a callback loop to AS3 would be (even if it
might be available). And even if it would be fast, it could not be
faster than implementing a compile-time logic (as was elaborated by
adobe in their falcon blog post yesterday) as compile time is hardly
beatable.

Essentially I am proposing a system that allows compile-time filling of
blanks in the code by things the compiler might know. Especially
important for me are name and location of the caller of a method. I can
imagine other things the compiler knows of might be important for other
usages to:

XML description as provided by describeType;
     class MyClass {
       [Fill(data="container.xml")]
       private static const asDescribed:XML;
     }

For IOC it might be a high-performant way to combine that by using:
    [Fill(arg="typeInfo", data="caller.type.xml")]
    [Fill(arg="constr", data="caller.type.constructor")]
    public function createInstance(constr:Function, typeInfo:XML) {}

Maybe the compiler flags or other compilation data might be interesting:
     [Fill(data="compilation.flags")]
     private static const flags:Vector.<String>;

    [Fill(data="compilation.time")]
    private static const compiledAt:Date;

Or maybe even custom arguments like the time when this was compiled
    [Fill(data="compilation.arg.user")]
    private static const compiledBy:String;

That are just some idea I have had for that. I think it would help
creating high-performance applications, especially important for mobile.
And we might not be that limited when its up to logging solutions. Some
questions still bug me:
*) How should this be named? (auto-fill, compiler-data,..)
*) What applications could that have? Is it interesting for IOC?
*) How to implement that? I would need a compiler crash-course. Are
there members who could provide mentoring?

yours
Martin.