From Jeffry Houser <>
Subject Re: jira task to decide on Apache Flex version number needed
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:51:38 GMT
On 1/18/2012 2:45 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
> On 1/18/12 10:53 AM, "Arnoud Bos"<>  wrote:
>> Yeah I would go for a 4.7 initial apache flex release too.
>> Especially because i sense the general intension here is to release a few
>> compatible versions first.
>> It's just less confusing IMHO.
>> Arnoud
> I just got confirmation that FlashBuilder will not be using years, so my
> proposal is that Apache Flex uses years.  The first release, even if it is
> just approximate parity with Adobe Flex 4.6 would be called "Apache Flex
> 2012".  Any other release cut this year would be a point release ("Apache
> Flex 2012.1")

  Is there any other software that uses the "year" approach.  ( Aside
from Windows 2000/2003, etc..)

  Sometimes version numbers communicate the breadth of the release to
customers, users, and programmers.  By switching to a year model would
we lose our ability to do that?

Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur
Part of the DotComIt Brain Trust