From Martin Heidegger>
Subject Re: Flexionscript
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:25:14 GMT
On 17/01/2012 02:01, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
> not sure why so many people want to come and suggest language
> enhancements. I understand we all want improvements to ActionScript 3, but
> that's not what we're doing here. We're here to work on, fix, and improve
> the Flex SDK.
1) People use the mxmlc to compile all sort of AS3 projects, many people
use nothing else but the mxmlc. If the mxmlc is part of Apache Flex - if
its source code is maintained by Apache Flex - then naturally people ask
Apache Flex to change it.
2) As there are changes in the AVM and changes in AS3 the mxmlc compiler
has to follow those changes. So it is a part of the work here to
actually improve AS3 as a language. Many small language "bugs" have been
fixed over the years.

> As far as I understand MXMLC uses the same ActionScript 3
> compiler that the Flash Pro IDE uses,
As fas as I understand Flash Pro uses the mxmlc... I could be wrong though.

> ... should wait until we have that code for the Falcon compilers (Falcon and
> FalconJS).
Falcon and Falcon JS might be nice projects however there is a
possibility that other compilers, perhaps based on OCAML (hint: haXe
branch) might show up that are faster than Falcon.

> As far as AS3 language changes go once we receive all compilers... I still
> doubt at that point we will make AS3 language changes since at this point
> we will still be limited to the constraints of the AVM.
You might not as well as many others might not. But: its an open source
project and there will be issue requests, patches, branches, etc. around
that topic. So: why not setup a "island" for those
interested to?

Ahh, the most important original questions still open.

View raw message