From Martin Heidegger ...@leichtgewicht.at>
Subject Re: AS3 Enhancements: method overloading. Why do people want this?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:22:10 GMT
On 17/01/2012 00:07, David Arno wrote:
> [...]
To fix it by renaming one would need a complex naming convention in
interfaces like:
   function <namespace>_<functionality>()

Because if we create a interface we don't know in advance what other
interface from other
frameworks it might be used with it: that means you better write
something like this:

interface IContext {
   function get robotlegs_core_destroyed(): Boolean;
}

because some other interface might have another getter for "destroyed"
of which the robotlegs team
doesn't know in advance.

So: To answer your question: No it is not always fixable because people
do not always have access to the
interfaces in question that conflict (swcs), it is preventable by using
non-user-friendly method and property names.

Right now this sort of problem has to be dealt with using Adapters which
requires a lot of writing (classes)
and a lot of bothering. People avoid going through such stretches by
just not-using conflicting interfaces resulting
in whole libraries without interfaces as they would become just pain in
the ass as major method names are already
taken by standard flex interfaces (for example).

yours
Martin.

(btw.: Complaining about non-descriptive function name in a example
without implementation is tedious)