From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: AS3 Enhancements: method overloading. Why do people want this?
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 14:56:57 GMT
On 1/16/2012 9:51 AM, David Arno wrote:
> I have noticed that the most popular request so far for an enhancement to
> AS3 is method overload. To quote Bertrand Meyer
> (http://drdobbs.com/184414874):
>
> "Overloading, the most masochistic device ever introduced, means that you
> can give the same name to several methods as long as they differ by at least
> one argument type. This is a rare example of a facility that has no known
> advantage, and many documented problems (it's confusing, and conflicts with
> object-oriented mechanisms such as polymorphism and redefinition)."
>
> I'm in full agreement with the above quote. I think it is good that AS3
> doesn't allow method overloading. Yet it is a popular request, so clearly
> other folk disagree with this. I'm therefore curious to know why people are
> requesting what ought - IMO - to be viewed as a bad thing.
>
> David.

  I am indifferent to the request.  In my earlier days of a programming,
I seem to remember backing myself into a hole of confusion or two b/c of
overloading.

  From an implementation stand point, I bet this is something that could
be "Fudged" into the compiler somehow by morphing the code with the use
of the "|...args" |

  I personally have no desire to put mind thought into it; but I
wouldn't get in the way of others trying.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur