From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Overly large classes (was Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource)
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:54:40 GMT
On 1/15/2012 4:01 PM, David Arno wrote:
> I'll
> comment on List.
>
> The class does many things: it's a container; it displays the contents of a
> data provider; it supports scrolling; it supports item renderers; it
> supports dragging&  dropping; it supports single selections; it supports
> multiple selections; it supports item editing etc. Classes should be single
> purpose. Therefore the List class should be a compositional class that is
> composed of IDataProviderSupport, IScrollSupport, IDragAndDropSupport etc
> and the functionality that is currently in List should be in classes that
> implement those interfaces. That way, the currently overly-large,
> over-complex, unfocused class could be broken up into a large number of
> properly focused, smaller classes.

  That is kind of what the Spark Architecture did.  And the end result
is that development is more complicated to extending and modifying
things [from the perspective of a component developer] is a complete
nightmare.  It's much worse than the "too many private variables"
problem that existed in the Halo architecture.

  For the sake of simplicity in development; wouldn't the MX approach of
having a single class to represent the List be better?

  In my view Spark favored flexibility over simplicity.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur