From Jeffry Houser <jef...@dot-com-it.com>
Subject Re: Overly large classes (was Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource)
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:54:23 GMT
On 1/15/2012 2:37 PM, David Arno wrote:
>> To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: Flex incubation on Apache as Opensource
>> I think it should be clarified that a class or function with what we
>> would determine is a high number of lines of code does not mean
>> that its an indicator of crap code.
> I disagree. From experience there is a strong correlation between class size
> and the quality of the code.

  I'm w/ Jude on this one.  Line count is not inherently an indicator of
bad code.

  As one personal example; the most common feedback I hear about the
Flextras Calendar is how well it is documented.  Not one person
complained about the length (~4K lines).  More than half of those lines
do nothing but define the get/set properties of the API.  I'm curious as
to what your suggestions would be simplifying something like this?  [Or
ignoring my commercial component, the Flex List class]

  I think this "issue" may come down to a mind set difference between
component creators and application creators.

  I do agree, however, that the UIComponent class is not a focused
class.  It sometimes feels like a "Catch all" class for everything that
didn't fit somewhere else.

--
Jeffry Houser
Technical Entrepreneur